Choose country
Choose time
Choose place

History of Emauzy Monastery

Emauzy Monastery  

History: The monastery was established in 1347 by King, and subsequently emperor, Charles IV; the completed buildings were ceremonially consecrated on Easter Monday  1372. The reading from the Gospel about the meeting of Christ with his prentices in Emauzy, which is connected to this event, led to the later given name “In Emauzy”, or “Emauzy” for short. The Benedictines from Croatia settled in the monastery, having been invited by the monarch to recreate in Bohemia the tradition of church service in the Slavic language. While translating and copying books they used  the Glagolitic script, typical for the time. During the Hussite movement the monastery escaped destruction, apparently as a result of its extraordinaryposition in religious life; even the only male Utraquistic monastery was establish at Emauzy. The re-Catholicization occurred at the end of the 16th century.

In 1635 Emperor Ferdinand III brought  to Emauzy  Benedictines from Spanish Montserrat. Under their administration the monastery was rebuilt in the baroque style. The Spanish Benedictines brought to Emauzy the cult of the Virgin of Montserrat.

In 1880 the monastery was acquired by the Benedictine congregation of Beuron, which had been forced to leave Germany because of Bismarck’s anti-clerical campaign. Against  the background of this congregation an exclusive form of ecclesiastical art, the so-called Beuron Art School, developed. Beuron artists  decorated the interiors of the monastery anew and simultaneously a reconstruction of the buildings in a historical spirit was to take place.

The monastery was dissolved during the Nazi occupation, the Abbot together with several monks were interned in a concentration camp. The monastery was almost destroyed by an Anglo-American bombing raid in February 1945. Religious institutions in Czechoslovakia were abolished in 1950 and  the buildings were adapted to their new scientific and healthcare use.  The Benedictine Order returned to Emauzy in 1990 when was the monastery given back to the Order in  restitution.  A regular church service is held in the monastery church, consecrated in 2003

Emauzy Monastery

more info

Call Us
+420 224 91 76 62

Emauzy Monastery
Vyšehradská 49/320, 128 00 Praha 2 - Nové Město


Official Website

Visiting Hours
May - September/ 10 - 17

Tours Information
The monastery is easily accessible by public transport (via the underground station Karlovo náměstí and trams nos. 3, 5, 10, 24 - the tram stops being in close vicinity), there is a restaurant in the monastery complex, and other restaurants are in the adjacent neighbourhoods. The monastery does not offer accommodation.