The greater part of today’s Saint Martin Basilica of Pannonhalma, was built at the beginning of the 13th century during the reign of Abbot Uros (1207– 1243) in early Gothic style. Recent archaeological findings have shed light on the wall remains of earlier constructions. It was most likely consecrated in 1224. The Basilica, which is divided into four well separated parts, is fifty metres long with three naves, carries the imprint of three architectural workshops. In addition to the work of Hungarian masters, Upper-Rhein and North-French influences can be seen within the building. The church was extended during the regulation of King Matthias, the star-domed ceiling of the sanctum, the Eastern end of the naves and the Saint Benedict Chapel were all built at that time. The interior was completely ruined during the Turkish era. Significant renovation commenced in the 1720’s during the reign of Archabbot Benedek Sajghó, then later in the 1860’s under the leadership of Ferenc Storno. In the present day the interior of the church was renewed based on the designs of the British architect John Pawson, in order to provide a worthy place for the monks’ liturgy after the Second Vatican Council.